Tuesday, February 2, 2016

American Robin

Growing up in Minnesota, I have such fond memories of listening to American Robins in the summer evenings right after sundown. They would sit on the telephone or power wires and emit their characteristic calls until the sky had finally turned black. It was part of midwest summer magic for me. 

Here in Aldea I have not heard quite the same calls in the summer. We have robins year-round in most of New Mexico. This winter I have observed significantly fewer American Robins in Aldea. Last winter it was not uncommon to have as many as a flock of 20 in our yard. The robins were attracted to the water but also to the freeze-dried meal worms I would offer in a shallow clay pot saucer. I actually had put out the meal worms for the bluebirds, but my cold meal worm “soup” was fair game for all I learned.

Other birders have said that the large flocks of robins have remained in higher elevations this winter where the juniper trees have more berries. I loved the sound of all the robins in the arroyos of Aldea last year and miss it. It was deafening and dramatic. Sometimes hundreds of robins were in the arroyos.

I appreciated the loud carrying-on, especially on weekend mornings alongside the flocks of House Finches all joining forces in a very loud chorus. I hope the flocks of robins return next winter.

Robins are easy to spot with their characteristic red breast. During breeding season, male American Robins grow black feathers on their heads to attract females. 

Interesting tidbit: there is a Crayola crayon named “Robin’s Egg Blue.” A group of robins are collectively known as a “worm” of robins. How appropriate is that?

American Robin in Aldea backyard. Click on photos to enlarge.







No comments:

Post a Comment