Friday, February 26, 2016

Northern Flicker, Red-Shafted, Male

I was very curious as to what was digging holes that appeared in the backyard in the last week or so. I thought it could be the aftereffects of the landscaping crew that had come to whack down the dried native grasses in preparation for new spring growth. Maybe it was where the crew had pulled weeds out and left small craters, or so I thought. 

Then today I noticed a Northern Flicker foraging on the ground in that area. A male red-shafted was digging up the area where I had noticed ant mounds after the snow melted recently. That made sense as Flickers feed largely on the ground in search of ants and beetles. I did not think that ants were out already, but Mr. Flicker knew otherwise. Flickers produce antacid saliva to neutralize the acidic defense of ants.

The Northern Flicker is such a beautiful large woodpecker with a wonderfully distinctive shrill call. I hear them throughout the day in Aldea, especially this time of year. It’s a pause-moment for me whenever I hear one. Only the male has a red malar or stripe under its eye, the female is all gray in the face. Both have a black breastband. Their backs are barred black and brown, the belly is spotted black on white. The underside of their wings is reddish-orange. Their strong, chisel-like bill is able to bore deep into tree trunks or into hard-packed dirt in search of ants. This is the only brown-backed woodpecker in New Mexico.

While I was hastily trying to capture photos of it while near to the window, the male did me a favor and spread its wings to preen and revealed the red shafts of its wings. The red feather shafts are quite visually arresting in contrast to the dark feathers. Thank you Mr. Flicker.

Northern Flickers are a year-round resident of most of New Mexico. Of note: all woodpeckers use drumming instead of a vocal call to proclaim territory and to attract mates. I hear the drumming this time of year in Aldea.

A group of flickers are collectively known as a “guttering”, “menorah”, or “Peterson” of flickers. 

Northern Flicker, red-shafted, male in Aldea. Click on photos to enlarge.



No comments:

Post a Comment