Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Ladder-backed Woodpecker Male

One week ago, a female Ladder-backed Woodpecker arrived in our Aldea backyard to hammer at the shelled sunflower seeds encased in one of the seed cylinders. That unexpected landing was heralded in an instant post about this zebra-striped (of sorts) woodpecker. 


On Friday, just in time for the Great Backyard Bird Count ( GBBC), a male graced us with his presence as well. This was my first opportunity to get close-ups of a male. What a stunner! I had no idea that his red head-cap feathers form what appears, upon closer study, to be a red, spiky mohawk! Really beautiful and striking from many angles. 

I am cutting this post short in order to add more photos than normal since I think so many of them show the beautiful details of this most dramatic bird. I hope you enjoy these photos as much as I do posting them today. 

Male Ladder-backed Woodpecker. Click on photos to enlarge.








No comments:

Post a Comment